Monday, August 10, 2009

Aspirations, etc

This could be one of those goofy bucket list memes, or it could be serious. You decide.

I've been thinking about what I really want to do in life... beyond just the next few years or today's passing fancy. So, I thought I might list a few goals and let the internet judge me (gently, please!)

1-2 years from now:
  • get married (June 19, 2010... make your plans now!)
  • obtain Master's in teaching + CA credential (sometime around Jan-Feb 2011 )
  • start teaching in a high-need school that I can bike to
3-6 years from now:
  • have a firm grasp on conversational Spanish
  • buy a house
  • start a family (later rather than sooner)
7-15 years from now:
  • own property (not a measly front yard, but 1/2 acre plus)
15-forever from now:
  • start a teaching farm for at-risk/urban/land-phobic young people
There, I've put it into print: I want to be a farmer. I want to be a teacher.
I see no reason that I can't do both. My plan is to start a small organic farm close to a city (Los Angeles..?). Ideally, it would be a mix of many different crops ranging from tomatoes and herbs to fruit trees and flowers. I would invite students to come a few times over the course of the year -- they would help to plant the seeds by hand, later they would help to prune and pull weeds, then a third trip would be a harvest day with fresh produce for a special lunch.

I want to spend the next decade or so honing my education skills and learning about practical farming. Then, I want to get my hands dirty and welcome little ones to learn that tomatoes don't grow out of supermarket bins and that bugs are just another lovely part of our ecosystem.

Comments? Judgments? Let me know -- this extrovert craves feedback!

No comments:

Post a Comment